Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 23 and all's fine....

So, dear friends (or just Dana, re-reading her own un-inspiring words), I am on day 23 of vegetarianism. No beef, pork, poultry, fish or any other animal meat have I consumed in the past 23 days. I can honestly say it hasn't been hard so far. I don't know if that's because I never ate a ton of meat in the first place, who knows. I also have been trying to snack more healthily and consume less dairy. Soy milk is just fine for me, but I do love cheese, so that is a continuing struggle, but until I decide to go vegan, I'll just eat in moderation.

In my continuing quest of healthiness and need for further inspiration as to why being healthy is worth the extra time and money, I watched the documentary Food Inc and read Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation.

Fast Food Nation was pretty good, and full of interesting albeit more small tidbits and factoids about the fast food industry than anyone would probably care to know. None-the-less, it definitely is an interesting look at what happens behind the scenes in fast food land. And has definitely inspired me to not eat/or eat very very limited-ly at the chains mentioned in the book, which shouldn't be had, as most of the offerings are meat products. Along with Food Inc, its just interesting to see how many government and food industry links there are. Another reason not to trust the government, as if I needed another lol.

*

In recent news, Obama has sent 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan. At the same time he has set a deadline for the troop presence (I think in 2010 or 2011). Obviously he is trying to please both sides, but honestly, will this work? NO. Nothing will work- agression-wise that is. The only hope for the Afghan people is for non-governmental agencies to be a force of good within the country, building infrastructure and providing jobs so that young men won't be tempted to join the Taliban out of desperation for money. Obama's strategy won't 'save' the Afghan people. Bombs don't save people. They kill people.

*
I guess that's it for now. Sorry I've been in a non-blogging mode the past week and a half. It may be easier when I'm done with work, and/ or when I'm back in the US.
*

*PS included an interesting site I found... check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment